Typically bonds are classified as Fidelity or Surety bonds. Fidelity Bonds protect the insured from losses due to employee dishonesty. Surety Bonds guarantee the insured’s performance of a contract. We can help you secure a variety of bonds, including contract bonds, license and permit bonds, used car dealer bonds and so forth.
Contract Surety Bonds
Contract Surety Bonds provide financial security and construction assurance on building and construction projects by assuring the project owner (obligee) that the contractor (principal) will perform the work and pay certain subcontractors, laborers and material suppliers.
Contract Surety Bonds Include:
· Bid bonds, which provide financial assurance that the bid has been submitted in good faith, and that the contractor intends to enter into the contract at the price bid and provide the required performance and payment bonds.
· Performance bonds, which protect the owner from financial loss should the contractor fail to perform the contract in accordance with its terms and conditions.
· Payment bonds, which guarantee that the contractor will pay certain subcontractors, laborers and material suppliers associated with the project.
· Maintenance bonds, which normally guarantee against defective workmanship or materials for a specified period.
· Subdivision bonds, which guarantee to a city, county or state that the principal will finance and construct certain improvements such as street, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, sewer and drainage systems.
Commercial Surety Bonds
Commercial Surety Bonds guarantee performance by the principal of the obligation or undertaking described in the bond.
Commercial Surety Includes:
· License and permit bonds, which are required by state law or local regulations in order to obtain a license or permit to engage in a particular business, e.g. contractors, motor vehicle dealers, securities dealers Blue Sky bonds, employment agencies, health spas, grain warehouses, liquor and sales tax.
· Judicial and probate bonds, also referred to as fiduciary bonds, secure the performance on fiduciaries' duties and compliance with court order, e.g. administrators, executors, guardians, trustees of a will, liquidators, receivers and masters. Judicial proceedings court bonds include injunction, appeal, indemnity to sheriff, mechanic's lien, attachment, replevin and admiralty.
· Public official bonds, which guarantee the performance of duty by a public official, e.g. treasurers, tax collectors, sheriffs, judges, court clerks and notaries.
· Federal (non-contract) bonds are those required by the federal government, e.g. Medicare and Medicaid providers, customs, immigrants, excise and alcoholic beverage.
· Miscellaneous bonds, e.g. lost securities, lease, guarantee payment of utility bills, to guarantee employer contributions for Union fringe benefits and workers compensation for self-insurers.